Tuesday, September 18, 2012

As I was creating the background to this blog I thought to myself, "Hmm it might be funny to add some  flame as a joke."


Hilarious.

Why is that hilarious......Well, let us start at the beginning of tonight's festivities. (And by festivities I mean me....in my kitchen, with my dog laying over my feet)

So, I recently got an Ipad. In addition to that, I got all the fancy things that go along with it. For instance, there is an app called "allrecipes" or something like that, and you can choose the kind of meal you want to make based on the amount of time, occasion...you name it. I came upon some great recipes, and found a slightly more difficult meal to cook than last week. "Chicken with tomato and basil cream sauce."I had a much easier time at the grocery store this week, and to be honest, I felt pretty invincible.

Everything was going to be perfect. I had cleaned the kitchen earlier, I had all the ingredients, and had the entire night off. My roommate was entertaining some of our co-workers in the living room, but I thought that as long as I had the kitchen to myself I would be ok. 

It started great! Everything was smelling good, I was multi-tasking... (I even found time to socialize with the girls in the kitchen!) <------mistake

That is when it happened. The inevitable, "What is that you are burning in the kitchen" smell. I tried to play it off first. I kept sniffing the asparagus wondering if this was just their natural odor. It was not. It was starting to get worse and people were starting to cough a little. Naturally, being great with common sense, I just continued to sniff the asparagus inquisitively. Finally I looked down at a glowing orange flame. Yup. Something was on fire. In all my sniffing, I had failed to notice my roommates decorative halloween hot pad sliding into the burner. The worst part...is that it was surprisingly hard to put out! I ran it under water for quite some time before it stopped glowing orange. Needless to say, our company was not particularly impressed by my culinary abilities.  I do have to say, the meal I made was probably the most delicious meal I have ever cooked. Flame and all.

Just look at this: 

The sauce was delicious, and it tasted great with the veggies. I am glad I am going to have leftovers! There you have it. My ONE AND ONLY fire story. I vow not to set anything on fire again. 


...at least...not a hot pad. (Sorry Alli!)

2 comments:

  1. I love It! I think you get your natural culinary skills from your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks delicious! I will have to try it. You did a great job making it. Don't worry about it, everyone, yes everyone has fire stories. Plus they make it fun to tell!

    ReplyDelete